Friday, April 9, 2021

#verselove -9: haiku

For the month of April, I am participating in 30 days of #verselove poetry writing with Dr. Sarah J. Donovan's Ethical ELA

Today's poetry inspiration was by David Duer, who invites us to write a haiku. I really appreciated his insight on this three line poem of 5, 7, 5 syllables in length:

"The act of writing haiku requests a senses of meditation and quiet observation Go outdoors, or at least open a window. Use strong details and specific imagery. When you have a draft, read it aloud and listen to how it sounds to know if it's done. When you've written one haiku, take a deep breath, look around, listen, smell, and start another."


I kept a notepad in close proximity as I worked in the garden. It was great fun - and, yes, meditative - to write haikus today. Here the three I posted on Ethical ELA:

I dig in the dirt
lifting sacrificial worms
as robins linger 

light rain washes me
turning over heavy dirt
memories flowing

thinking about you 
planting herbs in a crock pot 
no such thing as junk

Here the three random others that I wrote . . . yes, this was fun! -

unexpected gift

unpretentious carnations

unfolding delight


digging with trowel

black eyed susans torment me

voracious spreaders


day in the garden

lets me wander in my mind 

dreaming of before



No comments:

Post a Comment