Tuesday, April 27, 2021

#verselove 27: Connoisseur

For the month of April, I am participating in 30 days of #verselove poetry writing with Dr. Sarah J. Donovan's Ethical ELA

Today's poetry inspiration was by Karen Workun, who encouraged us to write about 'secret connoisseur' - what little things are we experts about?




I am a 
calculated connoisseur,
developing 
essential expertise
alongside those I love

I am an affable authority
digging for worms
throwing sticks in the creek
finding lambs-ear in the garden
listening for wind chimes
noticing birds

I used to be gentle genius
identifying dinosaurs
Thomas the Tank Engine trains
Pokemon characters

I’m ready to refresh 
my scholarly skills 
should the need arise, 
as I have with 
construction vehicles

I fear I am an emerging expert at
forgetting 
where I left my eyeglasses
my hot cup of tea - oh, my, it is now cold
to make an appointment
titles of books and movies I loved
names of authors, actors, even some neighbors
to dig the weeds before they spread
to move the wet clothes to the dryer
passwords for every imaginable account
oh no, 
the gas burner on low, overnight,
oh my!

No comments:

Post a Comment