Saturday, April 10, 2021

#verselove - 10 The stranger

For the month of April, I am participating in 30 days of #verselove poetry writing with Dr. Sarah J. Donovan's Ethical ELA

Today's poetry inspiration was by Denise Krebs, who invites us to write a "skinny poem," which she defines as having only 11 lines; the first and last lines have same words used in different order, and the nine lines in the middle are only one word each. Yes - really getting "to the skinny"! 

I found myself thinking about hate crimes, hate legislation, hate of others. 

I took some liberties with this poem structure. Re-reading the directions, I see that the one word in line 2, 6, 10 are supposed to repeat . . . well, didn't do that. Plus, as you will see, I didn't use exactly the same words in my opening and closing lines. Lastly - sadly - I need more than nine lines for categories of hurt people. 

Here's my first attempt at a skinny poem:


God says love the stranger: each of us is fearfully and wonderfully made

Black
Brown
Asian
migrants
poor
LGBTQ
homeless
addicted
disabled

Each feared stranger wonders of us: is God’s love made up?  





1 comment:

  1. A very wide & deep skinny list. the last 5 words sum it up perfectly

    ReplyDelete