Thursday, April 22, 2021

#verselove - 22: Aunt Louise

For the month of April, I am participating in 30 days of #verselove poetry writing with Dr. Sarah J. Donovan's Ethical ELA

Today's poetry inspiration was by Oklahoma State University preservice teachers Araceli, Deanna, and Michelle, who encouraged us to write a poem to someone we love along the lines of Sandra Cisneros' "Abuelito Who"


My poem is dedicated to my godmother, my Aunt Louise, who died in 2019. 


Aunt Louise

my precious godmother,

who is azaleas in spring, energetic abundance of blooms

light and tender, unadorned and natural,

who is fresh baked cookies, hot from the oven,

spiced with laughter,

whose voice radiates New England - pahk ya cah! 

who is handwritten letters arriving every birthday, 

overflowing with stories

who lets me see Mom through the eyes of a high school bestie 

"I never saw your mother mentally troubled a day in my life, I never did, I never did"

delighting in their antics, back in the day

sculpts my Mom with joy and kindness 

talks to me openly of all the ordinary dirt of life

who shapes this lovely nest worn with love 

knits and reads and plants and tends 

photos and scrapbooks

who is prayers that need saying

tells me “keep the faith!” as farewell 

discovers light in sorrow, always hope, always love 

my window, my insight, my heart

I treasure I treasure I treasure




 

No comments:

Post a Comment