Monday, April 26, 2021

#verselove - 26: may I

For the month of April, I am participating in 30 days of #verselove poetry writing with Dr. Sarah J. Donovan's Ethical ELA

Today's poetry inspiration was by Hanna Al-Jibouri, who encouraged us to think about "who do I want to become?" and write a poem. 

I played around with lots of different metaphors, and then dispensed with all of them and decided to try my hand at a new poem structure - a triolet. I was introduced to 'triolet' for the first time during this writing month, from a poem written by Dr. Sarah J. Donovan on a previous day. 

This is the rhyming structure for a triolet, which is only eight lines long:

ABaAabAB

The capital letters indicate repeating lines; the first line is repeated in the fourth and seventh lines; the second line is also the last line.

1. The first line (A)

2. The second line (B)

3. The third line rhymes with the first (a)

4. Repeat the first line (A)

5. The fifth line rhymes with the first (a)

6. The sixth line rhymes with the second line (b)

7. Repeat the first line (A)

8. Repeat the second line (B)


Writing this was a lot of fun, playing with this new structure! Here is my poem, on the topic of what I hope for myself in the days to come. 



may I


play with words and then write more 
love each day, show courage, be kind
be in the midst of those I adore
play with words and then write more  
willingly readily always explore 
welcome viewpoints, have open mind
play with words and then write more  
love each day, show courage, be kind


No comments:

Post a Comment