Sunday, March 27, 2022

SOLSC 2022 #27 - Push ups

 






It is March 2022 and time for the
Every single day, for all thirty-one days of March,
writers will share stories.
Thank you, Two Writing Teachers, for creating this supportive community 
of teacher-writers!


Today, at this very moment, I have completed 21 pushups. 

How do you motivate yourself to move a little more each day? Here we are in our sixties, and we know this is an important goal. For about eight weeks now, Tony and I have been keeping a log of our daily pushups - a friendly competition, if you will. It's a simple notepad, and it is kept in plain view on our kitchen counter, so that we might keep these calisthenics in mind throughout the day. 

Although we can readily see each other's totals on a daily basis, I don't compete numerically with him - Tony is much more practiced at doing pushups and his totals are always considerably higher, at least twice mine, if not three times more, to be honest. I do notice, however, when he has logged in - which tends to inspire me to get down on the floor and do a few, or a few more, building my daily total. I have also noticed that, today, I am able to do more at one time ("in a set") than I was when we started - so, this simple logging game is definitely making me stronger - at least at this one skill. 

We are both finding that doing a quick set of pushups also serves to clear the mind. It gets us off the couch a bit. I've been doing a few after sitting and writing/sitting and thinking - particularly if I get a mental block. Which, actually, is why this 27th day of March is about pushups - hahaha! I had no other idea for today's slice! lol

Push on! The 31st of March is just around the corner.... 


14 comments:

  1. In October, a lot about my job changed and I was not longer able to participate in the twice weekly workout group I used to do. I have tried to keep it going on my own, but, you know, that was difficult. A few weeks ago, I tested myself with my pushups and I had lost a LOT of ground. Like, instead of 10, I could do 4. So I loved reading your slice and seeing how I might think about keeping awareness of the movement in my day. And the way you use it to get a bit of movement into different moments of the day, something I have been wondering about as I move into my 60s and think about retiring and still keeping purposeful movement in my life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you about how life throws curve balls and you all of a sudden aren't working out as regularly as you once did; that's what we were noticing here. We both know it's important to keep strength-building as we age. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Okay, now I'm inspired to get in some pushups! I love how you started with that clear statement, just one sentence for the first paragraph. Then the turn to slice was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Today was definitely a mental block for slicing, and I thought - hey, just write about what is right there in front of me.

      Delete
  3. Such as great idea to encourage each other in shared pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Not something either one of us was doing much of on our own. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. A wonderful reminder; not just for fitness. Small steps over time lead to results, whatever the practice. Love the part about the note on the counter being the reminder. I wonder how I could leverage that idea elsewhere in my own life. It's like a love note/motivator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like a love note/motivator! Thank for this!

      Delete
  5. This is a perfect post for the end of the month, and it’s just the motivation I need to begin a push-up routine when I get home. Do you do yours on your knees or plank style?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing them plank style; they are hard, but getting easier, that is true. Thanks, Glenda!

      Delete
  6. Shout out for pushups and sharing your success! I think it's awesome that it has become a quick, informal practice. I love the idea of squeezing in a little strengthening activity when the spirit moves you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe this is why it works - it is a quick, informal practice. Thanks for this!

      Delete
  7. Great idea here in this post!! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, I'm impressed. 21 plank style push ups. I don't think I can do one. I need to start joining my husband because he does do pushups. I'll start with knee pushups!

    ReplyDelete