Thursday, March 10, 2022

SOLSC 2022 #10 - that moment

 





It is March 2022 and time for the
Every single day, for all thirty-one days of March,
writers will share stories.
Thank you, Two Writing Teachers, for creating this supportive community 
of teacher-writers!




that moment
do you know it?

when you find
little wispy worms of tissue
floating in the air and
stuck to all the newly washed and dried clothing
as you unload the clothes dryer
and instantaneously the feeling burns within
as you realize
your dearest 
has forgotten to empty out his pockets 
before putting his dirty clothes 
in the hamper

that moment
do you know it?

when you unwittingly wash and dry
Kleenex
and learn for the thousandth time 
how these tissues have a unique ability 
to fragment twist stick plaster regenerate
adhering to every single piece of clean clothing
screaming 
catch me if you can!
haha you missed me!
no you are not done yet, here I am hiding again! 
so very frustrating

that moment
do you know it?

your nice shirt
that soft sweater
the black yoga pants  
this won't do! 
to be dotted with these blots of worn out white gunk! 
ugh
one tiny slip up
one moment of forgetfulness
one moment of rushing
and thank you very much 
your workload has been doubled

that moment
do you know it?

when slowly slowly slowly
you make your way through 
the load of clean and dry clothes
everything is 
finally 
neatly stacked and folded 
and you take a moment to glare 
at the culprit jeans
the one article of clothing with pockets
knowing this is where that dang tissue was hiding
stuffed and forgotten
only to wreak havoc on the rest

that moment
do you know it?

when you realize
the mistake is your own
those pocketed pants belong to you

yes, that moment
do you know it?

and you are so thankful
all your seething 
about clean frayed tissue pieces 
has been done quietly and out of sight
of your dearest
you haven't said a single complaint out loud
truly, no muttering or 
angry words 

that moment
do you know it?

when you are left wondering
do you owe your dearest 
an apology? 

10 comments:

  1. The repetition of the phrase "that moment/ do you know it?" works wonders here and lets the reader see themselves in the fullness of this unfortunate situation. And that's a lovely plot twist at the end. Very rewarding read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am notorious for leaving tissue in pockets, so yes, I know that moment. It’s always my fault. Ken uses a hanky, so I can’t blame him. I really dislike doing laundry. I’ve been doing it since I was seven, but I sure don’t understand folks who pay someone else to do the task. Fortunately, Ken is very good about helping, and he’s even learned how to wash bras. Can’t complain about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was this sweet window of time when Tony did all the laundry - he was retired, and I was still teaching. He was such a dear about it, folding things I never took the time to fold. Somehow, it's a chore that's ended back in my lap, and I truly don't mind it. Those stacks of clean laundry make me feel very satisfied, lol!

      Delete
  3. I know this moment for more than laundry but laundry too

    that moment
    do you know it?

    when you are left wondering
    do you owe your dearest
    an apology?

    Maureen that Kleenex was a fabulous topic because it is so universal - oh, I know those moments all too well. My bigger problem is chap stick. I always have a tube of candy cane chapstick I stock up on in December, and if I catch it in the washer it's fine......it's the dryer where the lid lets little drops out and stains all the clothes, and when I take the lid off, I'm left looking at nothing but the middle white plastic rod.

    Ugh. Chapstick, Kleenex, money. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes - Chapstick is the worst! That is something I have dealt with, as well. Yes, I wonder, why haven't I learned this by now? To check the pockets, regardless? Such a simple step - yet I am always rushing. Thanks for this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes, I totally know it! What a fun twist when the tissue belonged to you. Usually it is my hubby, but it's always possible. I'm glad you kept the seething quiet long enough to figure it out. Good job. Fun post and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! I am always glad when I don't stick my foot in my mouth, hahaha

      Delete
  6. I know that moment all too well. It drives me nuts. I was not expecting it to be yours. What a funny poem most could relate to in some way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a small and frustrating problem, isn't it? Thanks, Heather!

      Delete