Thursday, March 24, 2022

SOLSC 2022 #24 - Tea for one

 






It is March 2022 and time for the
Every single day, for all thirty-one days of March,
writers will share stories.
Thank you, Two Writing Teachers, for creating this supportive community 
of teacher-writers!


It's Thursday, meaning that this week's two days of babysitting are past, and my five day weekend begins - the joys of retirement. I offer this poem -


Thursday mornings


My Thursdays mornings have become 

Saturday mornings

when

I feel the warmth of my ceramic mug in my hand,

radiating throughout my palm and fingers,

this soft caressing comforting heat, 

when

I smell the subtle earthy waft of my green tea, and

indulge in sips of tea at its finest temperature,

an impossible treat in the midst of children

now my morning's delicacy 

when

I hear the delightful echo of yesterday

with each sip

their young chatter laughter hurts joys movement

remembering 

these precious moments

when

I settle deeper into my chair 

holding

the cup in one hand

the pen in the other 

the journal open on my lap

when

my body is still calm relaxed

at peace

how I love 

the unfazed day ahead that

Thursday morning brings.






2 comments:

  1. Maureen, your poem today has a calming effect. The repetition of “when” is very effective. I feel the warmth of your teacup in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is my goal...

    "I settle deeper into my chair
    holding
    the cup in one hand
    the pen in the other
    the journal open on my lap
    when
    my body is still calm relaxed
    at peace"

    I could probably do this most days, but I don't very often. You have inspired me. Peace and lots of Thursday quiet.

    ReplyDelete