Monday, March 25, 2019

SOL19 Slice #25 Weighing on me



I am participating in the
 Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOL19)
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for the month of March 2019.

A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


Oh, my, reality check. I went to my annual physical, only to be popped out of my denial. I have gained weight since my mother's death this past October. (Did you know that you don't gain weight if you don't get on a scale?) Now, the bitter truth. I need to wrestle with this, meet it head on, do the right thing. The doctor would like to see me take off 10 lbs, yes, no matter what; 20 lbs would be best. I can do this! 

Honestly, this is 'here I go again.' I've been down this road before. I know how to do this. It's not going to be any extreme approach...been there, done that:

- college summer, basically a starvation plan that was built around a lunch that consisted of a can of diet soda and 8 wheat thins (RIDICULOUS!) (Oh how foolish!!) (though the weight did fly off).

- another fun diet was the South Beach, which my husband and I both went on, supporting one another, only to lose power about one week into the diet...and all we could think about was the ice cream in the freezer...that approach ended with a binge! We remember that diet fondly, calling it our "Hurricane Isabelle" plan. No, we didn't lose much weight that time.

After all these years, I know - the best way for me to lose weight is to treat my body with respect. It's about eating right, eating modestly, and doing so day in and day out. I will try to be more mindful about what I am eating. As I've learned just this month, I'll do more writing...and be rewarded by less stress; this will help with that mindful eating. It's about adding in more exercise. Thankfully, I love love love long walks. This reality check has arrived just in time for spring, with its longer days and beautiful weather - perfect for getting outside!

Yes, I can do this!
I am halfheartedly fully invested and determined! Ha!
Here goes!


1 comment:

  1. Best to you! You have the right attitude. It’s a challenge best taken one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete