Saturday, December 12, 2020

Title Poem: Lucille Clifton

It's time for the December Open Write with Dr. Sarah Donovan's Ethical ELA! Oh, I love these 5 Day interludes with poetry writing. Today's challenge was to think of the 'gifts' of poetry that we receive from different writers...choose a poet, and create a 'title poem' from their writings:

Feel free to pretty the titles up with as many of your own words as you’d like or add words sparingly. 


I am in awe of Lucille Clifton; every one of her poems is a gift.

This poetry challenge was intimidating for me,

to create a poem from her titles.

I played around with her many titles

(I have her book The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton 1965-2010) and

created this simple poem,

without using a single word of my own:



if I stand in my window

i agree with the leaves

some dreams hang in the air

listen children 

the mystery that surely is present

the lesson of the falling leaves

i am not done yet




No comments:

Post a Comment