Sunday, December 13, 2020

Poem - The Food Bank

This is day 2 of the  December Open Write with Dr. Sarah Donovan's Ethical ELA. Yes, I love these 5 Day interludes with poetry writing! Today's challenge was to write a poem about a journey. I had so many thoughts, journeys of all different types - cycles of life, actual trips, even going for a run...but I kept thinking about this long line of cars that I observe every Wednesday at a food bank near me...a line that has been getting progressively longer during this pandemic. This is the journey I decided to write about, out of sadness for this season of so many peoples' lives.

The Food Bank


all 

down

the road

cars

backed up

stacked up

paused

one

after

another

traffic

blocked

seemingly

endless

relentless

line

feeling

crushed

stuck

barely

surviving

time

standing

still

nothing’s

fine

hope

depleting

slowly

incrementally

crawling

moving

trying

forward

seeking

needing

praying

desperately

gratefully

hungry

families

waiting 

for
food


No comments:

Post a Comment