Tuesday, November 2, 2021

On Tuesdays, I run

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

I repeated this little ditty as I crawled from my warm bed this morning, found my exercise clothes, pulled back my hair into a ponytail. 

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

I run three times a week, and once a week it is in the dark of morning. 

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

Lace up my shoes, get out the door...don't forget the reflective vest, the bright white sweatshirt. Running in the dark! It makes me feel, all at once, both adult and child - giddy and yet responsible, alert, aware. 

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

Today it is cold, it is cold, it is cold...I am running before I even leave my driveway... only in the low 40s, my first cold running day in a long while... thin gloves and fleece headband much-needed...I try to convince myself: it's not bad, not bad, not bad. Maybe even invigorating? 

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

I am grateful for my quiet neighborhood, though I would love to see a few more folks out. Where are all the dog-walkers? I suppose they are dog-backyarders at this hour?

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

Where are the stars? My last early morning run, the sky was awash in stars, clear with constellations, bright and comforting. Today, ah, nothing but clouds, yet still comforting - the sky is a blanket of grey-white-blue-black.

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.

Today I am celebrating one year of running, one year of getting back into this very good habit for me, three days a week, 
Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays, 
Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays, 
Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays, 
on and on, 
one after another.
One year! Woohoo! One year!

On Tuesdays, before the sun, I run.


2 comments:

  1. I love the little ditty & how it runs (ha!) through your post. I love the adult-child giddiness and responsibility. This post is a wonderful way to celebrate a year of running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, congratulations! Good for you. I love your peace-filled writing and how you gave us this slice of your day in your beautiful prose. I too love the image of you with your white sweatshirt, reflective tape, and on high alert--feeling both "both adult and child." That is a human feeling we can relate to, and you explained it so well.

    ReplyDelete