Monday, March 23, 2020

SOL20 Slice #23: Somewhere new



I am participating in the
 Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOL20).  
All participants are sharing stories about moments in their lives, writing 
 every day for the month of March 2020.
Thank you, Two Writing Teachers!



Somewhere New

This time of isolation, 
physical distancing, 
pandemic and unknown, 
happened so abruptly,
as if 
a stripping,
a shattering,
a mad, impulsive, wild tossing,
of all that we are.
We, 
and all those we know and love,
and all the things we do and care about,
and everything that matters, 
are like the small flecks of pretend precipitation
in someone's snow globe that 
has been randomly grabbed and shaken. 
We get to wait and 
watch ourselves land,
somewhere new.


4 comments:

  1. “Stripping, shattering, tossing.” Yes, these are the words that aptly describe this whiplash-like change. Now we must each redefine ourselves. There are moments in which I question everything I’ve done in life, even all those teaching years. What did they mean, offer anyway? Did I prepare students for a world that no longer exists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Did I prepare students for a world that no longer exists?" Oooh! I got goose pimples when I read that! I have no doubt that you prepared students to question, research, and advocate. Our students are our biggest hope for the future. Every time I get to that "questioning what I've done in life" (which has been crazy frequent for me, too, these past days...I try to breathe deeply. This is hard.

      Delete
  2. Did you read Stephen King's "Under The Dome"? That's what I thought of as I read your poem. Because this does seem like we are in someone's snowglobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! I will have to check this book out. I often find him to be too scary, but what can be scarier than this time we are living in? Thanks for commenting!

      Delete